About Freegal (free and legal)
Download and keep music tracks and videos from a vast selection of popular releases. Enjoy tens of thousands of popular artists in hundreds of musical genres. The music tracks are standard MP3s (videos are MP4s) and contain no digital locks, meaning they can be transferred to and from your various devices without restriction. You can download directly to your computer, MP3 player, tablet, or smartphone.
Each Brampton Library cardholder can download up to 5 music tracks per week. (Note: Each music video counts as 2 downloads)
Check out Freegal now and start downloading!
Seaching for songs
Freegal music is set up to browse or to search for your favourite song or artist. You can use the navigation along the top of the screen, the featured artists, the quick search or the advanced search options.
Downloading a song is easy
When you've found a song that you want, click on the "Download Now" link next to your chosen song. At the prompt, select Save and choose where you want to save your song. Keep in mind that once you click the "Download Now" link, the download will count towards your weekly allotment. There is no need for any special software with Freegal. All songs can be saved to iTunes or Windows Media Player, as you choose. If using a library computer to download, you must save it onto a USB key, so you don't lose it.
About the Freegal app
A Freegal app is available for iOS (iPod, iPhone, iPad) and Android devices. Now you can download music from Freegal on the go!
How to install the app
- Android: Go to the Play Store on your Android device to search for, download, and install the app.
- Apple iOS: Go to the App Store on your Apple device to search for, download, and install the app.
How to use the app
- Once installed, enter your city or postal code and choose Brampton Library from the list of libraries.
- Enter your library card number and PIN.
- Browse, search, and download music directly to your mobile device. You can download up to 5 tracks per week.
If you wish to put a song on your computer as well as onto your device, you have two options:
- You can re-download the same song to your computer. To re-download, sign in to Freegal and click the "Recent Downloads" link.
- You can download it to your computer first, and then transfer it to your device