This strategy was developed by library management and staff in partnership with the Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion, and approved by the Brampton Public Library Board on March 23, 2021.
Our library will reflect Brampton’s diversity and provide a respectful and welcoming environment that embraces and celebrates our differences and inspires connections among our staff, customers, and communities.
At Brampton Library, we recognize that cultivating a respectful, inclusive culture that expands and leverages the diverse abilities and perspectives of our team is one of the keys to our growth as a community.
To support our collective growth, we will actively seek to understand and collaborate with our communities so we can provide a safe space to explore ideas, learn, and build a connected community.
Nurture a safe and welcoming work environment
- Create and sustain a work environment that recognizes the individual needs of employees with a focus on mental and physical well-being.
- Improve equitable outcomes for marginalized groups in hiring and advancement at all levels to better reflect community diversity.
Infuse accountability into the way we operate
- Integrate diversity and inclusion into our approach to core organizational systems and practices.
- Connect intention with impact by driving inclusive leadership behaviours across all levels of the organization.
Be a community champion
- Develop deeper knowledge of the diverse needs of our community members.
- Embed a diversity and inclusion lens in all aspects of library services and community engagement.
For more information
Policies related to the IDEA Strategy can be accessed via Library Board Policies.